Archive for March, 2015

Based on a door handle I saw in Italy.

ItalyI’ll have to keep working on this one because I don’t love it.


Read Full Post »

I can’t help it; I’ve named another quilt constellation because that’s what I see when I look at it! The swirls I saw on a door in Italy.


Read Full Post »

After a very busy 7/8 months I decided I deserved a prize and started another project; Esther Aliu’s Red Delicious Quilt. Her online shop is here. Esther has a Yahoo Group you can join if you are interested in her designs. Unfortunately the free BOM (Oma’s Blues) for this year has already begun but you can purchase components if you’re interested.

I’ve been trying to make some of my blocks with the Brother Scan’n Cut I got for Christmas but I have to say it’s been a steep learning curve and probably would have taken a lot less time if I’d tried to complete the blocks the old fashioned way. I will say I’m glad I didn’t have to cut some of the blocks the old fashioned way though, the machine definitely makes a difference on the tricky cutting once you get things sorted.

I’ve been working on these blocks for quite a few weeks now and of course I’m never satisfied to leave things alone and have changed some of the components!

I have a few days work coming up in the next few weeks so I’m expecting progress to be slow for a while.

20150324_170003-001 20150324_165850-001 20150324_165936-001 20150324_170037 20150324_170106-001

Read Full Post »

I’ve been busy making covered coat hangers for one of my sisters. Ten so far and at least another five to complete. I just chose one of the simple designs available online. My sister wanted piping as well but …. if she wants piping I’m afraid she will have to make them herself. Time has been a massive issue for me the last 7 or 8 months I’m afraid. Mine are a little more padded than in the tutorial and I chose to use leftover cotton wadding/batting from some of my previous quilting projects. The only drawback with my coat hangers being more ‘plump’ is of course you fit fewer coat hangers on the wardrobe rail. I’m surprised how much wadding/batting is actually used. They are quite lovely but they do take some time to complete with the handwork required. Today I finished these ones with some satin ribbon and the plastic tubing to cover the metal hanger. I bought 2 metres of the tubing and I’ve almost used all of it already.

The satin in the covered hanger second from the bottom is leftovers from a dress my Aunt wore as a teenager and is well over 50 years old and is absolutely beautiful.


Read Full Post »