Since returning from last year’s trip I can honestly say I’ve been so busy with outside work I haven’t really had a lot of time for quilt designing. In December I finally managed to complete my Blue Gum Challenge using whatever snippets of time I could manage. I will have to say sewing the hexagons for the final border took almost as long as the rest of the quilt. I am very pleased with the results. Initially I was going to put hexagons right around the outside of the quilt but when I started assembling and laying a few of them out for a ‘viewing’ I didn’t like the result – they were just too ‘heavy’ for the design of the quilt.
Here’s my completed flimsy, I have now basted the layers together ready to quilt but I’m finding a little bit of piecing time a lot easier to achieve than a little bit of quilting time. I’m looking forward to a quieter time in a few weeks.